Cold Morning Remedy: Shredded Apple Oatmeal
It is 10 am on a Saturday morning and I don’t want to get out of bed, because my room is cold and I can hear the wind blowing outside. I’m wide awake but unwilling to leave the warmth of my divinely comfortable bed. The only thing that could coax me from the sheets this morning was the thought of an hot bowl of oatmeal.
I feel a little silly posting a recipe for oatmeal, because having grown up in the age of Quaker Instant Oats, making oatmeal was as easy as adding hot water. But I haven’t been able to procure any Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets here in BA and anyway those things are loaded with sugar.
This is a way better oatmeal recipe. It requires more work, but all good things are worth working for, or at least getting out of bed for.
Shredded Apple Oatmeal
- 1/3 Cup of Rolled Oats. Steel cut oats are good too, they take a bit longer to cook.
- 1 Apple
- 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Milk
- 2 Tablespoons of Raisins
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
- Cinnamon to taste
- Water, as needed
- Wash the apple and cut into quarters. Then using a grater, grate the apple and saute with cinnamon over medium heat for a few minutes, until soft and aromatic. Remove from heat and put aside.
- Using the same pan, now empty, combine the oats, coconut milk and honey. Add enough water so that the oats are covered and then simmer on low heat until the water is absorbed and the oats are at your desired consistency. Adding less water, slowly as you go is better than too much water initially. #oatmeallessonslearnedthehardway
- Mix in the shredded apple and raisins and fold into the oats over heat until it looks perfect and you’re ready to eat it.
- Sprinkle with almonds and be glad you got out of bed!