Blueberries on Sale
Palermo Soho at lunch time. I’m at the verduleria and I spy blueberries. They are 12 pesos per carton. I get a pear instead.
A different side of Palermo, several hours later. I’m at the verduleria again. Yes, I go multiple times a day. Again I spy blueberries. They are 12 pesos for 3 cartons. I go crazy. Almost as crazy as inconsistency of prices in this city.
I arrive home with several cartons of blueberries. This is the first time in my life that I have more blueberries than I know what to do with. I have no choice but to get down to business and make some muffins.
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of blueberry jam, should you happen to have it
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup of blueberries (or two cartons)
- (If you want nicer muffins than mine add baker’s yeast)
- Any other random stuff you’ve got lying around. Nuts, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, a banana, check here for inspiration.
- Combine the oats and the orange juice and mix.
- Combine all dry ingredients, in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients. Get mixy with it.
- Stir in the berries.
- In a muffin tin lined with those cute little paper cups (What are those called?) drop a heaping tablespoon of muffin mix.
- Bake at 200 ° Celsius for 17 minutes.
Recipe makes 15 muffins and friends and coworkers very happy.
I’m becoming increasingly interested in photography and discovering that I prefer still lifes to portraits. Hardly Rococo, but I attempted a still life of a portrait. Any photo tips for me? I’d like to convert my photographic aspirations into skills.